Summer is the warmest season and it is the time when the weather is hot. Being traditionally dry, humid and warm, summer is the season when people experience a host of diseases. The scorching heat can cause heat stroke, sore eyes, dehydration and many other illnesses. But if precautions are taken you can easily fight back the common summer diseases and lead a healthy life. Let us study few summer diseases and how you can avoid it.
List of few common summer illnesses
- Sun Stroke: During summer, body temperature rises high and as a result of this prolonged exposure to heat, you can experience sunstroke. Not only this, you can also experience different behavioral symptoms that include headaches, nausea, dizziness, muscle cramps and etc.
- Food Poisoning: The warm and humid weather of summer provides an environment for the growth of bacteria and this can lead to contamination of food. Consuming such contaminated food affected by harmful bacteria and parasites can cause food-borne diseases.
- Conjunctivitis: Another common disease that people can experience during summer is sore eyes. In common terms, it is called conjunctivitis. The illness can be caused due to viral or bacterial infection. Allergy can also lead to inflammation of conjunctivitis. Since it highly contagious, it can affect the entire families together.
- Dehydration: Well, dehydration is one of the commonest problems that people suffer during summer. One can face dehydration when the intake of water does not compensate the water loss. So, try drinking a lot of water in order to keep your body hydrated.
- Headache: One of the common problems that people would experience during summer is headache. This is the result due to dehydration and the best solution is to drink a lot of fluids as this will help regain the loss of water from the body.
- Cough and Cold: Hot weather provokes people to drink a lot of chilled water to beat the heat. Drinking too much of chilled water can result in a cough and cold. Thus, you need to be aware of this and ensure that you don’t drink a lot of cold water.
- Sun Burn: Exposure to harmful UV rays from the sun can lead to painful rashes on the skin and this is sunburn.
In addition to this, waterborne diseases like diarrhea, dysentery, cholera, and typhoid are also some other common summer illnesses that you might experience. All the above-mentioned seasonal diseases can be prevented if you can take necessary precautions at the right time.
How to Prevent Common Summer Diseases?
You need to be very cautious during the summer season and ensure to take precautions against heat and warm weather. There are few points to remember if you want to avoid the above-mentioned summer illnesses.
- The best thing that you can do is drink plenty of water so that you can overcome dehydration. Try to increase the intake of fluid like coconut water, buttermilk, and lemon water.
- Apply ice packs if you are having sunburns.
- Wash your hands properly while handling food.
- Avoid eating undercooked and street food
- Try eating fresh fruits like watermelon, cucumber, sugarcane, and mangoes.
- Make sure to keep ORS (oral rehydration solution) and take it in order to keep yourself hydrated.
- Try to wash and lubricate your eyes with clean water to remove soreness.
- Make sure to keep your skin covered to prevent your skin from sunburn
- While traveling outdoor make sure wear cap along with sunglasses as this can keep your face fresh and wrinkle-free.
Summer is the beautiful time when you can enjoy vacations with your friends and family. But due to the warm and humid atmosphere, people experience many common summer diseases. By just following few preventive measures you can avoid the common illnesses and keep yourself healthy. Above all the mentioned points, drinking water is very important as this can keep your body hydrated and help you regain the lost water in your body.