Do you know how waterborne diseases are caused? These are caused by the pathogenic microorganisms that get commonly transmitted in the contaminated fresh water. Waterborne infection can be caused by drinking polluted water and even by consuming the food that is infected with pathogens. In this concern, World Health Organization has reported that half of India’s mortality is caused due to waterborne diseases. Amongst the water related diseases in India, diarrhea is the most prevalent and top in the list. Malaria and cholera are the waterborne diseases that thousands of people fall prey to it.
Different Types of WaterBorne Diseases and their Symptoms
There are numerous harmful bacteria, virus, chemical pollutants and dissolved impurities that are present in the contaminated water. Such pathogens are not even visible to us through naked eyes and thus, when we drink the impure water we fall sick. There are many cities that do not have water treatment facilities and in this concern, people are knowingly or unknowingly consuming polluted water that is supplied to their home. It is the water related diseases and the scarcity of the clean water that are the main cause of deaths in both the urban and rural areas.
- Cholera: Cholera is a waterborne disease and is diarrhoeal in nature. A person can get affected to Cholera by drinking water or eating food contaminated with the cholera bacterium. Thousands of people fall prey to this disease every year and many lose their lives as well. It can happen to both children and adults and some of the symptoms of cholera include vomiting, abdominal cramps, watery bowels, and fever.
- Typhoid: It is another disease that gets transmitted by drinking contaminated water that carries ‘Salmonellae Typhi bacteria’. Some of the symptoms through which you can understand that you are being affected by Typhoid are prolonged fever, loss of appetite, headache, constipation, exhaustion, sleepiness, and nausea. It can also be transmitted by close contact with the infected person.
- Diarrhoea: Diarrhoea is one of the most common water borne diseases that mostly affects children under the age of 5. The infection of diarrhea spreads through eating contaminated food and impure water. Some of the symptoms of diarrhea include dehydration, severe dizziness, loss of consciousness, pale skin and bloody stool, little or no urination. The attack of diarrhea can last up to 2 weeks by leaving the person dehydrated and if kept untreated the infected person can lose his/her life as well.
- Hepatitis A: Another type of waterborne diseases is Hepatitis A and it is caused by Hepatitis A virus, which affects the liver. It is normally spread by the fecal-oral route, by direct contact with the infected person or by ingestion of the contaminated food or water. Some of the symptoms that you can find in the infected person are nausea, vomiting, and fever.
Anyone can get affected by these water borne diseases especially young children and pregnant women are more susceptible to them. Prevention of water borne diseases requires many necessary precautions which include removal of impurities from water, avoiding consumption of unhygienic water, drink filtered water and much more.
Some of the precautions that you can take in order to stay safe from water related diseases are mentioned below:
- Intensify the Habit of keeping yourself Hygiene and make sure that you keep yourself clean.
- Make sure to drink 100% pure and fresh water and for this invest in best brand of water purifier. The purifier would ensure that all the impurities are removed from feed water and you drink clean and filtered water.
- Strictly avoid eating outside food as the foods might contain contaminants and if may cause harm to your body
- Ensure that the foods are always kept covered and this will restrict pathogens to enter to the food and contaminate it.
Make sure to follow the few precautions that are mentioned above to ensure that you remain free from water related diseases. Following the mentioned precautions would let you stay safe from the diseases caused by drinking contaminated food. Also, make sure to drink purified water and that is possible only when you install a water purifier. check online to pick the best one of your choice.